Sunday, July 26, 2009

Love of Reading

July 1 - Book Club

Warning - boys may not understand the significance of Judy Blume.

I was sitting on a friend's patio this summer, basking in the sunshine, when we started to think about the next book club selection. After some searching on items to read and a few of my own ideas shot down (I have strong opinions on what we should read because so far I would say it is 50/50 if I like the book club selection, if I pick it, I should like it, right?) the July Hostess, my good friend Mack, decided on Everything I Needed to Know About Being a Girl I Learned from Judy Blume, a collection of essays written by young adult and adult fiction writers and editing by Jennifer O'Connell. I was excited to remember all the great Judy Blume books.

Reading the book confirmed what I had hoped when I first heard about the book - Judy Blume didn't just teach us about being a girl, she taught us about life. I honestly don't think I knew a single girl who didn't read a Blume book. She got us when we were young with Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great and Superfudge. Then just as we were deciding we were too cool for Blume she hit us with Starring Sally J Freedman As Herself and Blubber and Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret (which I never read and wonder if that is why I still don't understand everything). I found out recently that Judy Blume even wrote a book about find that special someone (Forever) and yet another book for us girls later in life (three to be exact).

I am sure that each person will have essays that speak directly to them, and essays that are less personal. However, all of the essays are thoughtful and well-written. I was amazed at how moved I was while reading the essays - I flew back in time to my childhood, laughed at some of the memories and cried at others. I felt myself nodding over and over as I completely identified with what I was reading.

I tell you so much about this book because Little Guy was really the center of attention. Surrounded by so many women, he was just as laid back as always. He spent precious moments with each of the lovely ladies at book group and won over their hearts too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fun and flattering accepted here.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin