Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Resolutions?

I'm not much for New Year's Resolutions. I am not opposed to resolutions. I am not opposed to New Year's. However, I am slightly opposed to New Year's Resolutions.

This slight opposition probably stems from two things:

1. I am perplexed why we (I do this too) say I'll start this or stop that on January 1. If it is something we should be or should not be doing, shouldn't you start/stop now?

2. New Year's Resolutions have a tradition of being generic or unattainable or too much at once. I believe you can start/stop just about anything when you put your mind to it (now if only I would put my mind to a few things...) but trying to do everything at once is no good. No good at all. People (I) give up because of all the changes.

Instead, I try to work on one or two things at a time. If I'm lucky, it becomes a habit. Part of who I am and I don't have to think about it any more. It's second nature, like breathing. I look at New Year's Resolutions as a time to evaluate how I'm doing on the things I'm trying to change.

The next time I say  you say I'll start Monday, Next Month, Next Year (Insert your own excuse), ask yourself, why? It's going to be hard to make this change part of who  I am you are. Babies steps can start right now. Perfection doesn't happen over night. Just ask Big Poppy. It took years for me to become perfect. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Fun and flattering accepted here.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin